- Start a Family Book Club
Have you ever thought about starting a family book club? Now may be the best time!
Here’s a quick guide to get you started:
- Pick the first book for your family book club. You can choose a chapter book and have mom and dad read to any little ones who cannot read it on their own yet.
- Decide when to meet. We are all going to be spending a lot of time at home. You could meet weekly on Friday or Saturday nights. Or, you could meet a few times a week.
- Prepare for the meeting. Decide if you will meet for book club over dinner (this is a perfect time for family conversations!!). Maybe book club coordinates with pizza night or another special meal.
- Prepare questions to discuss. Feel free to use our Family Book Club Questions.
- In-Home Theater Performances
Act out a book that you read each week. Performances can be held on Friday or Saturday nights. For your younger kiddos, this will be a huge hit!
- Let them choose the book each week.
- Read the book during the week.
- Let your children prepare for the play and rehearse.
- Invite friends and family to watch via Facetime or Skype. You can schedule performances throughout the weekend if necessary.
- Pitch a Tent
If you have the room, pitch a tent in the house!! Get out the sleeping bags and pillows to make a special tent just for reading.
- Create a Reading Corner
Redecorate a space in your home just for reading. If you can find a corner that can be a new reading nook, your kiddos will be excited to read - just like when you rearrange their room or buy new furniture. Many of the items you may need can be purchased on Amazon, here is a brief list:
- Bean bag chairs
- Light or lamp
- Small Bookshelf or nightstand
- Fuzzy Blankets
- Comfy pillows
- Be a Reading Role Model.
Similar to a family book club, schedule time for reading every day for the entire family!! Let everyone choose their favorite book and read for 15-30 minutes daily. You could schedule late in the afternoon before dinner or before bedtime. You could even celebrate sticking to a weekly reading routine with a special ice cream party on the weekend.
In closing, be creative! You can blend any of these ideas together or change them up to meet your family’s needs. This is the perfect time to get into the habit of reading as a family on a regular basis. Hopefully once the coronavirus passes, these habits continue and become part of your daily routine if you do not have a regular reading schedule already. Remember, it takes about 30 days for a habit to become routine. This is the perfect time to start.
Good luck and remember, reading needs to be enjoyable and fun for everyone!!